Sunday, January 14, 2007

What's the point?

I've thought about blogging over & over. There are so many I read regularly that encourage & inspire me--I feel like the writers have become "Virtual Friends" in some way (Tom might say "Air Friends"). They've let me into their private worlds by dumping their brains out into cyberspace. I have always kept my blogs private--accessible only by those to whom I've given the address. Like my cell phone number, passed on to those with whom I want to remain in touch, so that I don't get telemarketing calls there. I never thought I would want "strangers" reading my web logs, but then...if not strangers, who? Is there anybody out there who has the time to wonder what I am thinking about Life on any given day? Are my thoughts inspirational or encouraging enough?

I am trying to update this blog to include links to others' where I, myself, find daily inspiration. There is the unschooling mother who leaves me in the dust when it comes to creative parenting...the daily Bible reading blog where classic artwork over the hundreds of years of modern history illustrates the scriptures to bring life to the text...there are a couple friends' blogs where I get a private chuckle over shared memories from a distance, or track the progress of friends' travels, trials & adventures...and then, the occasional local color or political blog space.

But, why would anyone want to read mine?

If I do not answer this question, then I have no right to write in any location but my newest leatherbound journal (a beautiful Christmas gift from my uncle & aunt). But then, that begs the question, "What is the point of writing in a journal?" I have accumulated two full (long) shelves of hand-written books that cover the three decades of my life (I started writing in 1979 to manage the emotions of my childhood). Who will ever read them? Will my children...or should I ask, SHOULD my children read them? Have I written them for posterity, or as a permanent place for recording personal & oh-so-private prayers? How exactly should the writing here differ from the writing there?

I wonder if every blogger asks these questions. But, with 100 Christmas letters distributed this year, and every one of them signed with the address of my blog, I see 0 comments on each post & so I cannot help but ask myself...

What is the point?

1 Corinthians 2:11 (NIV)
For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.

No comments: