Sunday, February 04, 2007

What a day.

We went to heaven and hell today. All in 1300 square feet, in about 12 hours. Let's see, that would be about 108 square feet per hour. Sounds slow, but it didn't feel slow. We had a ROUGH day--struggles with independence, anger, and listening (& that's just the adults...). But then, there was this GREAT Thai soup I made in the crock pot...and, of course, the COLTS won the SUPERBOWL!! So, how bad could it have been? Well, when the day, itself, should be labeled as manic depressive, it's not good.

We overslept, and really wanted to get to History Church today. So, when Tom called upstairs to wake Logan & me, he said "It's 9:08! We need to go now!" Um, huh. That's darned-near impossible, since there is sleep in everyones' eyes. But, since I had premade homemade apple cinnamon pancakes, which were stacked in the fridge (we called them our flapplejack stack), we warmed a bunch in the toaster oven, packed them into baggies (which MELTED from the heat!), threw ourselves together in about 20 minutes (whew!) ate in the car, and arrived at 10:07 (that's more than 5, but less than 10 minutes late, OK?). So, there was bad (rushing around in the morning)...and then good! I looked a shambles (bad), but my kids were cute (good). That happens to me a lot. How about you, Moms? Ever feel (DAILY!?) like you put all the effort into dressing your children & brushing their hair, getting them fed & ready to roll, that you suddenly realize, "I don't think I brushed my teeth!" but you're already in the car halfway to your destination & running behind?

When I was in high school & college I always carried toothpaste & a toothbrush in my car for such occasions...and that was BEFORE I had two children to put together every day. Maybe I should put that little emergency dental kit together again...

But today I *had* brushed my teeth (thank the Lord, since we talked to about 15 people this morning!); my problem was a Bad Hair Day. I really should have showered. Instead, I tried to do the headband thing. I don't think it was the best First Impression, but hey! This is Me. I've been working, lately, on letting go of my perfectionism. It will drive you insane, you know. I have to look in the mirror, sometimes, and say to myself, "Well, you WERE Mrs. Connecticut-America ONCE upon a time, anyway." Ha. No one would believe it today, but I am ALRIGHT with that. I think.

So, we were so pleased with all the introductions & greetings of the morning. EVERYone said hi, shook our hands, gave us their names and listened for ours. It was the VERY thing we have been craving at the other church where we've been visiting the most frequently...no one there seems to have seen us. Ever felt invisible? After 3 months of invisible, we were delighted to stand out like sore thumbs as the Newbies at History (soon to be "Reston Community Church"), where fewer than 50 people filled the chairs. Hey! 50 is far larger than 6, isn't it? Remember our visit to another church a few weeks ago with only 6 other people in the room?

The message was about gardening--I could blog an entire session on just that topic--it fits in very well to our Theme of the Year--fruitfulness. This, however, is about the start of the plant, not the later display. Seeds, growth, death, endurance...(Luke 8, The Parable of the Sower).

Our children struggled with parting from us at first, but then both seemed to enjoy themselves in nursery & Sunday School. Our son said he liked it better than our old church--in VA Beach--AND our "old" church in Reston! Ha ha. He said, "This is our New Church." OK, I think there is agreement on that from all four of us (THANK YOU Mrs. Sayre!).

We got home at a decent hour & I threw all the ingredients in for slow cooking, and then, Lord knows WHAT happened! Everyone in the house decided to be miserable & unpleasant. We were all bumping into each other's comfort zones with lots of unfriendliness & it got pretty loud (Little T was fussing constantly, Big T was brooding, Lo was WHINING about everything, & I was JUST TRYING TO WATCH THE GAME, OK!?!?!?).

Living in small spaces has its cons...(and its pros??). Well, let's stick with the cons--that's easier. Sharing your north and south walls with two different families can cramp your style when you want to vent--I always look out the window after a big argument ensues at our place & wonder...Who heard us? How terrible are we?

But, I've never heard anyone else's arguments through the walls, so either they don't have big screaming matches (at least not loud ones), or we have nice thick walls! I'd like to believe in the walls...but I think maybe it's the earlier.

Things were really hellacious, though. Some of the worst fighting we've had since we moved up here...then it eventually calmed down, everyone apologized, forgave each other, kissed, hugged, and moved on about our business. Our son said to me at one point, "I think we could make Daddy feel better if we ate something." Sometimes he is SO sharp! He has heard me, when I am in a downward spiral, shout out, "And, I haven't EATEN anything all day! May I, please, just have a moment to EAT something!?" Smart, kiddo. And, spot on.

I missed the first quarter, by the way.

Finally, I got everyone's permission to plop myself in front of the TV. We got a fire started, I pulled a huge fleece blanket over myself, I thought the kids were going to bed early, and I got sucked into the TV for some GREAT plays!

But both children stayed up (they were not going down without a fight, and the day had been too full of fights, so...)--then they were both squirming in my lap--then we were all eating late night snacks together--then one went to bed, but Big Man stayed in the room with me as I made him football diagrams ("This is a goal post, this is the 50 yard line, this is the point of the game, here's the team logo...wait, wait! Look at that guy there, #33--watch him RUN!! Whoa!! Go, Rhodes! Go!! Go, go, go, go. No way! Oh, yesssss!" yada yada)--then he fell asleep in my arms (remember I told you we saw heaven today?).

So, I saw all the great plays of most of the game, Prince's very well produced (wet) half time show (fun 80's flashback memories), and a few of the commercials (but typically I muted them to pay attention to my son--and hello? Too many violent TV show commercials for the Family Show! It was better than Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction, anyway...). Since I played in marching band many many years ago I felt the misery of that music group on the green. Yikes. Water & brass instruments shouldn't share space during play...but, they kept on. Great job!

So, yes, there was hell at home for about an hour. Really. Not friendly. But, then, a few highlights & some true beauty. And, that's the game, isn't it? I mean, sometimes we lose. Sometimes we lose big time. But, sometimes we rise up pretty high! When we hit a rough day like today, I look forward to the fresh start of tomorrow. Tomorrow I'll start out with my Fruit mantra. I'll be more fruity. I'll smell like fruit. I'll have on my Fruit of the Looms, and eat Fruit Loops, and you'll be able to see my low-hanging fruit hanging off the vine! Tomorrow is a New Day!

Thank God for sunsets & sunrises. Amen?

p.s. Whee Whoo, Colts!! Congrats, Richard. So proud of you guys.

Love,

~Mrs. Loopy Fruitcake

John 15: 1-17 (excerpts)
The Vine and the Branches
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

...You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last.

3 comments:

Jen S. said...

Amen!

I've had days like that for sure. I'm at my worst when we are running late. Nothing gets me in a bad mood faster than feeling crunched for time. But I've GOT to stop taking it out on Luke. I get snippy and bossy when we're running late, and even though he may have dawdled too long eating his waffle or putting his shoes on, ultimately it's my responsibility to allow us enough time to get ready. The other day, after another rushed morning trying to get of the house, Luke said, "Mommy, how comes everytime when we leave, we run out of time?" I'm proud to say I resisted the urge to say "Because you took too long, honey!" and instead I told him that I didn't get us up early enough and that we need to work on that! :)

Glad to hear you got a good first impression of the church! For some reason I thought it was bigger, although I'm not sure why. But anyway, hope you continue to enjoy it!

Ainsley said...

It's always Sunday mornings, too, isn't it? We've definitely had days like this. Thanks for sharing!

ModMomMuse said...

Yes, yes. It IS always Sundays. I considered that as I was blogging..."And, of course it's a Sunday!" Ah well. Gotta fight those demons better, especially on Sabbath days.