Thursday, May 31, 2007

What does it mean to live "intentionally?"

Life has gotten chaotic in the past two months--and I've found too many things just happening to us, rather than feeling we're choosing each step along the way. Sometimes we enter phases like this, I suppose. Does it mean we aren't still living with intention? I don't want to be a person who isn't paying attention to life as it goes on around me. I want to be aware, see what needs to be changed, step in & change it when necessary. I am so flawed an individual, and I am always trying to work on improving myself. I "strive on towards perfection."

Many years ago a friend/mentor/teacher of mine asked a group of us in discussion about our choice to follow Christ, "Is perfection ever attainable?" I guess we would all answer so quickly, "No, it is not." Does that make perfection any less worthy of pursuing? No! To get as close as I can to Christ's example is the goal on this earth. To not possess judgment over others is critical. To not snap in frustration is key. The betterment of myself improves all the relationships in my life. It ought never to be the goal to work towards perfection so as to "claim" it, because that attitude is one of self--something a "perfect" person wouldn't have. The goal is to grow to be a better person so as to improve the environment around me for everyone's benefit. If we all made this our goal, working out our salvation daily, then we could get closer & closer to peace on all fronts. No, I will never be perfect, and to even think so is ridiculous because it leads to depression in the gap. That is what makes our faith in Christ such a wonderful & majestic miracle--His love is all about GRACE. Where I fail, He fills in. Still, I look for the growth areas and WORK on them for my benefit, for the benefit of my friends and family--and for the cause of Christ, Himself!

So here we are in another phase of Active Waiting. Waiting for the next adventure to reveal itself. Where will we land? Some of it CAN be controlled, but so much of it is totally out of our hands. That is when I LOVE knowing in whose hands it all rests. Even when I feel like a gypsy, I am still a Daughter of the King! I always have a home in the Kingdom, although my home on earth has changed many times, and is in the balance even now.

Philippians 3:13, 14
Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 2:12
Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

No comments: