Saturday, June 02, 2007

My 1095

This is a good reason to blog--to follow a path towards a goal. To daily log my progress. To keep me on track along the way. Today: DAY ONE of a three year goal.

I committed a few weeks ago to march towards my 40th birthday with intention--proudly & joyfully. If I had turned 40 yesterday, instead of 37, I would be depressed. My hands are at their worst state ever--the eczema is out of control--I awaken in the middle of the night in excrutiating agony. My entire constitution is acting older than my age should suggest--and I am still holding onto those extra 10 pounds about which I previously blogged--"Baby Fat" I guess. I'm just not willing to become a person who lets all of that go--and accepts it as inevitable. I am grateful to have a mom who looks phenomenal, has great energy, and a positive attitude about life. She is NOT out of shape, and has not turned into a pear in her late 50's. She inspires me. But, it isn't pure genetics--my mom works very hard at keeping herself fabulous--proving that I need to do the same. She walks or bikes or works out at least 5 days a week. I have been lazy about that, accepting my genetic benefits, but not working hard against gravity. So, gravity is starting to catch up & I'd prefer to not let it strong arm me at age 37. There's a long way to go, afterall!

So! Now I am on-track towards improving the physical part of my health. I think the spiritual & emotional will follow in natural order, since I have some great self-talk taking the reigns over the psychological. I will begin with meditation on the goal and then take baby steps. I know it will take thousands of baby steps to earn the reward of a marathon run in 2010, so I do not think three years is too lofty a goal. I think I need to move in phases--first, breeak myself of the sugar habit. I've become a Coke addict in the past 6 months or more. So, n o o o o m o r e s o d a ! And today I already made great strides--I only ate veggies & fruit, skipped a free donut and didn't eat my children's leftovers (which contained wheat--one of my allergens). I did have a coffee at 11 AM--that will last 12 hours for me, but no soda, and only pom & water other than that.

So, to start, no sugar. No Coke! No wheat. Start eating salads for lunch every day (today: Check!).

Next phase--MOVE daily. I've been taking daily "nature walks" with the kids on the 3 1/2 mile trail behind our house. Keep that up--then find a BABYSITTER for a weekly break to begin running. It will be hot, so I want to do that at dusk. I'll start a daily A-list & track it all. Even my spending needs to be curbed. I don't want to take on too much at once & then fall short of the goal by a few hundred miles, though, so SUGAR first. Buh-bye, Sugar Blues.

Hey--gotta go! But, I'm celebrating my first day as a healthier human being! YAY!

John 6:27
Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. On him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.
(New International Version)

1 comment:

Ainsley said...

What you are doing will be so hard to start... then you will feel SO much better! I'm praying for you and wish you the best on your health journey=)