Thursday, June 21, 2007

Three Weeks toward the goal

Yes! I am 20 days wheat free! I have made great strides in also being dairy & sugar-free. I have drunk no Coke, eaten no chocolate, and chosen salads time and again. The main cause of my weight loss, though, has surprised me. Each time I make a good choice for my health, I track "Temptations/Cravings," to celebrate my successes. Now I can see how I put on the extra pounds! EWhenever I stand in a grocery line I am reminded of just how accessible a Take5 bar or a bag of M&M's is. How many times before June 1st did I snag a single bottle of Coke out of one of those alluring coolers right by check-out? Only one York Peppermint Patty. Just one...here, and there, and everywhere! What's that silly expression about lips and hips?

My mother & I were shopping at Hallmark last week with my kiddos in tow. As I went to pay for the card I came in to buy I also shoveled out some buckaroos for a $12 bracelet watch and a $4 ladybug bracelet which were sold on-counter. If this purchase had preceded June 1, I would most certainly have also popped a neatly-wrapped choc-o-lat into my bag. Extra spending on unnecessary items...all because they are conveniently at my fingertips as I write out my check. It's just too easy!

In fact, I find it downright offensive that Hallmark, for example, puts all these candies around the circular check-out kiosk below my check-writing level, right at eye-level for my children. This marketing technique is disgustingly manipulative, undermining a parent's attempts to keep a healthy child from desiring sweets at every turn.

My kids got suckered in with me. That single bag of milk-or-dark, with-or-without-peanuts chocolate M&M's was always a shared experience, for example. Now, as I retrain myself to practice better habits in all excessive areas of my life, I need to coach my son, as well, so that he doesn't pick up these behaviors early (or ever!). Don't sell yourself out to the pressures presented in the check-out line. Those racks of sugar-laden deliciousness are downright evil--from the pits of h-e-double hockeysticks! Phew! Sweet victory.

Psalm 18:35 & 36

You give me your shield of victory,
and your right hand sustains me;
you stoop down to make me great.

You broaden the path beneath me,
so that my ankles do not turn

No comments: