Sunday, July 01, 2007

Looks Like We Made It

Four Things I Witnessed On The Highway This Weekend

1) a woman driving in the farthest left lane of 64 West, traveling at 80 MPH (in a 65 MPH) with both hands on the top of her steering wheel TEXTING someone!!
2) a large flatbed semi with hundreds of stacked bags of onions battened down with one gigantic tarp, but otherwise open air to highway smog & pollution. Made me think about taking advantage of Farmer's Market this week! (Ever hear Harry Chapin's song, "Thirty Thousand Pounds of Bananas"? See below...)
3) a mini-SUV overfilled with passengers going 60 in the left hand lane of a faster-than-65 MPH HOV lane on 95 North outside of DC. The driver caused a sudden traffic jam by her pace, but what was worse was that there was a toddler girl in the lap of a back seat passenger--both were out of their seatbelts, of course, and the baby was climbing across laps from passenger's side to driver's side in the backseat!
4) a white pick-up truck, carrying a step ladder in the bed, with red bandana waving in the breeze, going 70 MPH on 264 East (where the speed limit is 55). The driver, sans seatbelt, cut me off without a signal--his hands were busy with a Quarter Pounder, so I guess he couldn't be bothered to buckle up or use indicate his double-lane change...

And those are just the activities I actually witnessed! It's a wonder we got home at all!! I only hope that the accident we had on Tuesday, June 19th, was it for us for a long time. So grateful it wasn't worse. Thank you, Lord Jesus!!

Excerpt from Amy Grant's "Straight Ahead" album, 1984:
God only knows the times my life was threatened just today.
A reckless car ran out of gas before it ran my way.
Near misses all around me, accidents unknown,
Though I never see with human eyes the hands that lead me home.
But I know they're all around me, all day and through the night.
When the enemy is closing in, I know sometimes they fight
To keep my feet from falling, I'll never turn away.
If you're asking what's protecting me, then you're gonna hear me say:

Got his angels watching over me, every move I make,
Angles watching over me!
Angels watching over me, every step I take,
Angels watching over me....


Excerpt from the 1974 album "Verities & Balderdash," this Harry Chapin song is based on a true story about a truck driver from Scranton, Pennsylvania who lost control of a bus full of bananas...
He was picking up speed as the city spread its twinkling lights below him.
But he paid no heed as the shivering thoughts of the nights' delights went through him.
His foot nudged the brakes to slow him down,
But the pedal floored easy without a sound.
He said "Christ!"
It was funny how he had named the only man who could save him now.
He was trapped inside a dead-end hellslide,
riding on his fear-hunched back
was every one of those yellow green
I'm telling you thirty thousand pounds of bananas.
Yes, there were thirty thousand pounds of bananas.

He barely made the sweeping curve that led into the steepest grade.
And he missed the thankful passing bus at ninety miles an hour.
And he said "God, make it a dream!"
as he rode his last ride down.
And he said "God, make it a dream!"
as he rode his last ride down.

And he sideswiped nineteen neat parked cars,
clipped off thirteen telephone poles,
hit two houses, bruised eight trees,
and Blue-Crossed seven people.
it was then he lost his head,
not to mention an arm or two before he stopped.
And he slid for four hundred yards
along the hill that leads into Scranton, Pennsylvania.
All those thirty thousand pounds of bananas.

You know the man who told me about it on the bus,
as it went up the hill out of Scranton, Pennsylvania,
he shrugged his shoulders, he shook his head,
and he said (and this is exactly what he said)
"Boy that sure must've been something.
Just imagine thirty thousand pounds of bananas.
Yes, there were thirty thousand pounds of mashed bananas.
Of bananas. Just bananas. Thirty thousand pounds.
of Bananas. Not no driver now. Just bananas

No comments: