Thursday, March 13, 2008

Lessons from a Single Day

One Room Schoolhouse...er, Schoolroom.
Had a Happy Moment Thursday: Little-T sat up high at the end of the table with a basketfull of ABC, 1,2,3, colors & shapes books, a set of markers and an open lined notebook, as her big bro sat beside me and continued penmanship work, then went through several pages of his First Communion text with me.



Theology of a Child
In the evening, after MOPS, Lo wanted to act the pastor, so he chose a lectern in the children's worship area, and began a sermon to Little-T and me.

"Well, you see, Jesus died on the cross, but he didn't die all the way...he was resurrected."

I love that! "He didn't die all the way..."
Yes--that is the story of Easter from the theology of an almost-five-year-old!!

Was Jesus Listening?
We have a very little friend in Pittsburgh who is about to die all the way. After six months of praying for her, Logan was quite upset to hear that she was dying, and spontaneously responded with a little shock in his voice that followed his quick gasp, "That means Jesus didn't listen!"

That is how many of us feel when tragedy strikes--like Jesus isn't listening. And, it is how Jesus, himself, felt, as he called out to his Abba Father, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Mark 15:34).

Wonderful educational moments timed to our upcoming Holy Week.

In fact, Jesus did die all the way, he descended into hell to witness to the damned, and then he ascended into heaven to sit at the right hand of the Father. He returned to earth in a resurrected body to give hope to his disciples. In that hope we understand that when our little friend in Pennsylvania passes away from this earth, on some very-near day, she will also ascend into heaven!! Jesus did listen--he is giving that child a brand new unblemished body! We will weep and mourn--it is natural and necessary. But, we will reunite with her, and that is the only good news during such a tragic time. It is the hope we have from his resurrection that brings us together every Sunday to celebrate the eucharist together.

So, from our dining room table, to thoughts of our sad, recent trip, to the understanding of resurrection...this is our unschooled education.

3 comments:

Michelle in Mx said...

After experincing the death of my good friend, and the mother of my children's friends, our prayers and talks have since been all about this. -Virginia is with Jesus in "Heaben" at an all you can eat buffet (the bible says so) party of the ages. So we are happy for her.-
Yeah, theology for the 2 1/2 and 4 year olds.

LEHIGH VALLEY PROJECT said...

Lisa,

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. You know I have experience on this topic - today being Easter it even hits home more.

Anyway.., thanks for sharing and keeping up with the adventures of Karen and Richie with the Lehigh Valley Project. Keep us in your prayers sister!

Miss youz guyz!

IHL,

Richie

ModMomMuse said...

Richie,

When I was a sophomore in High School I went to Easter service at church where the pastor announced that my friend, Laurie, had been killed the prior night in an overturned Jeep accident. All of us in youth group were seated together & none of us knew. It was a wave of shock & emotion I will never forget. Of course, I remember the day we heard about your daughter's accident, as well. And, my paternal grandfather died during the same season; my neighbors across the street lost their dad last March at this time...and now, Mary-Claire, too. For the rest of my life I will plant something in the ground on the First Day of Spring to remember all of these souls who left us during the season of Lent and Easter. Thank God for his provision and for his salvation!!