Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Philosophical Phour (er...Four)

Logan curled up on my left knee as his sister drifted to sleep on my right. I glided back and forth, enjoying this quiet moment with my babes. "How did God create himself?" my soon-to-be-five-year-old asked.

"He didn't create Himself," I replied, "He always has been, and always will be."

"I don't trust that," Logan said.

Don't trust that... <--fascinating response!

"Well, it is difficult for even the wisest adult to wrap his mind around, Sweetpea, but the Bible tells us that God calls Himself, "I AM, that I AM," meaning, there is no beginning nor end of God."

He didn't sit quietly for all that long. His next question was a zinger.

"What if everything is a dream?"

Without skipping a beat I replied, "That is a great question, my sweet. You have insightful questions. A famous philosopher once said, 'I think, therefore I am.' A philosopher is someone who thinks about thoughts. And, if you were in a dream, could you feel this," I asked, as I pinched his thigh.

"Ouch. No! I guess not."

I picked back up, "And, I know you are real, because of my five senses. I can see you, I can smell your stinkie feet, I can taste your delicious kisses, I can hear your sweet voice and I can hold you in my arms."

"And, there's another sense," he informed me.

"Oh? And, what is that?" I asked.

"My brain!"

Such an insightful boy. Good grief. I told Tom, "We should have named him 'Neo.'"

No comments: