Friday, December 19, 2008

What's the opposite of expanding?

My grandparents had two children.
Then only my mother had children. Two.
Then only I have had children. Two!

My husband's grandparents also had two children.
Three grandchildren came from those two babies.
Four great grandchildren from just my husband and his sister...

We aren't really EXPANDING, here, are we? We aren't even meeting the national average!

Feeling especially small at the holidays, when I imagine what it must be like to be a part of my great aunt's family--with her four children and her TWELVE grandchildren, and her ten great grandchildren (with more expected in '09). It feels warm, and full of laughter, when I think of all those kids interacting with each other through their lives!

I've always wanted a BIG family. I am so happy to see so many of my friends' families growing to 3, 4, 5 & 6 children. I love the idea of passing on our values and faith through our children. I will encourage my kids to marry their sweethearts and be fruitful. MULTIPLY!!

;-)

In the meantime, I am delighted with the joyful way my two have been playing lately. They genuinely enjoy each other's presence, and feed off of each other's creative minds! I may be frustrated with them at least once a day, but in truth, they are more precious to me than ANYTHING!

Merry Christmas to all my Big Family friends! We rejoice with you!! And, I will kiss my babes on the head tonight, being GRATEFUL for the family with which we've been blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel exactly the same... I wish we had started earlier in our marriage - I think God would have blessed us then... but that's why I'm so hoping God will bless us to adopt (Derek's not quite on board with that yet but I'm still hoping... and praying... but not as diligently as I should!). Kellin would love a sister... and a big family! Jill