Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Gettin' the lead out.

You may be receiving the forwards, now: toy manufacturers in danger of losing their businesses in America! Google it, and I'm sorry to say, you'll find this one TRUE (Snopes doesn't seem to have covered it, yet).

In 2007 I returned two children's mugs to Starbucks and never got my money back--and I only received ONE giftcard for my troubles ($5). I also returned 8 Thomas The Train components, and received shiny new replacements that had my son grinning ear-to-ear. I threw away cheap toys we'd received as hand-me-downs when I found them listed on recall lists. I am not untouched by the lead pipe cinch that toys in America are in trouble!

You want to know what we got to hang on to? A gorgeous pull-string bee handmade in the Blue Ridge hills of Kentucky (as his wheels turn, so do his wings) & a jaw-dropping crocodile by the same inventive chap; an all-wooden dollhouse, and stable, and a lot of train tracks. None of them with a lick of paint--therefore, no lead! We LOVE wooden toys, and we love little boutique children's shops where they are made & sold. We buy cool German toys online, and gladly pay the shipping fees to hold in our hands these objects d'art! Tactile. Hefty. Lasting. Heirlooms.

In a far-too-far-reaching attempt to safeguard the toys American children play with, American lawmakers are missing the point! In just one month I will be among thousands (millions?) or American moms frustrated to find the search for lasting non-plastic toys far more difficult.

So I do not plagiarize, I offer you this site for the facts. The trigger point is this:

The new law (the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, or CPSIA, passed in August 2008) mandates third-party testing and certification for all toys and requires toy makers to permanently label each toy with a date and batch number. For a small business owner, the third-party testing issue is an asinine requirement. My paintless bee doesn't contain dangerous chemicals! How can this man, who likely works out of a workshop on his personal property, afford third-party testing at $4000/toy? If he DOES NOT TEST, he CANNOT SELL! The adorable arts & crafts shows that color the fabric of American summertimes will forever change with this law!

Because this concerns & upsets me, I am asking you to please consider looking into this issue, yourself. Oh, sure, there will still be plenty of playthings at Toys-R-Us for the kiddos, but my family doesn't shop there. We say pooh pooh to Walmart! We like our pink & green in fabrics, not plastic dollhouses...

This is directly affecting people I spend time with--fellow homeschoolers who make a living creating things with their hands. Can you help out? Check out the link!! Write to your politicians to request changes that consider the non-corporation toymakers!

"The CPSIA simply forgot to exclude the class of children's goods that have earned and kept the public's trust: Toys, clothes, and accessories made in the US, Canada, and Europe. The result, unless the law is modified, is that handmade children's products will no longer be legal in the US."

Thanks!

No comments: