Saturday, February 28, 2009

Giving It Up for Lent

Several days ago I vowed to leave Facebook throughout the days of Lent. Ash Wednesday came and went without an ache from me, as I filled the day with friends and their children's interests and occupations. I traveled on Thursday, embraced my husband on his return on Friday, had a 3-hour optometry appointment today (yawn...!), and am eager for a worshipful tomorrow. This is only my official 4th official day away from Facebook, so it's too early to say giving it up has been easy. We'll see how the days drag on.

I was interviewed for The Wall Street Journal about this lenten fast--ironic, when you consider that Christ advised his followers to NOT proclaim the difficulties of their fasts for the world to see! What do I do? Talk to a reporter about it. Is there any better way to brag about fasting? Sheesh.

Matthew 6: 16-18
When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.

But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen;

and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.


Fasting from Facebook--well, it's pretty well known by all of my "friends" that I'm fasting...am I not defeating the purpose of the fast by proclaiming it?

Learning. Growing. Next year I'll give something up without giving everyone the news!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Have you read this? It's a funny post about giving up stuff for Lent:


http://stufffchristianslike.blogspot.com/2009/03/501-giving-up-stuff-for-lent.html