Friday, March 20, 2009

Party On!

Ultimate Blog Party 2009
photo by Andi Grant

Since giving up Facebook for Lent I find myself a little...um...confused about how to end my day! There had been this nice little play-a-game-before-bed routine, and I enjoyed catching up with high school friends who were poppin' out babies, seeing photos in real time, and watching hysterical YouTube videos I would otherwise never have time to discover on my own! So, why did I give it up? Because it was becoming addictive!! One game of Scrabble with a local friend turned into 5 games going at once with friends around the country. Talking with people I hadn't seen in 20+ years turned into longer conversations that I think we'd even had back in the day...

I was interviewed for the Wall Street Journal on my addiction, and intent to quit for a while...which was a little fun, but mostly embarrassing. Another interview opportunity came out of that one, and I just never called the guy. What's the point of a Lent fast if you tell everyone, right? Oh, so here I am, again, talking about it! UGH!

BUT, BUt, But, but, the reason why I am talking about it is to say, "Oh, no! I hope this 5 Minutes for Mom party doesn't turn into my new FB!!" Fact is, it is very validating to be on Facebook, LinkedIn, NaBloPoMo and 5 Minutes for Mom parties. Voyeurs drop in to read about you, and you swing by their pad to see what they're about. It's like one huge apartment complex in NYC where all the strangers from 1A to 17D throw their doors open and invite everyone in--stay for a coffee, learn a new dance step, admire some shocking artwork, then meander over to 17C for some jazz, and work your way down the stairs little by little, till you're back in your own apartment a week later to clean up the footprints, and rumpled napkins on the floor. That's a good party, right? A progressive one! My husband--although previously quite critical of Facebook--was reading aloud one of his friends' status updates to me, laughing almost out-of-control. "See?" I asked, "It's like a long night at the bar, without the cocktails!" You jump from one short conversation to another all night, then leave having had a really nice time, and looking forward to returning.

Facebook, at least, is full of people I have known in my life, and have spent a LOT more time with than 3 minutes at a bar stool. Blog Parties, on the other hand, are like Speed Dating!

Hi!! I'm an overtired momma, trying my best to teach my kids how to live responsibly. How 'bout you? Oh, yeah? Cool recipe!

I LOVE IT!! About once a year. ;-) (See my 2008 similar post...)

Speaking of validating strangers. WOW, what a great video!! Someone who knows I'm not on FB right now shot this link my way. She'd, of course, seen it on FB! I was glad she thought beyond that party space to pass it on, because it certainly did make me smile a good hour afterwards (plus, I passed it forward).





p.s. Blog Party Prizes I'd love!

#USC66 Madre Gear
#66--Children's "I'm An Author" Story-Writing Kit--for Lo-Lo!
#19, #21 or #22--$50 Target gift card
#91 or #USC50--a $25 Target g.c.
#45--a nice new bag.
#93 Halo sleepsack--a great gift for a newborn!
#68--g.c. to CBD
#118 $25 Old Navy g.c.
#119 Life Journals!!
# USC1: Spanish for Children DVDs!
# USC37: wooden personalized teething ring--another great baby gift!
#USC 50--Pajama School (homeschool graduate biography)

18 comments:

H.K. said...

You gave up Facebook for Lent? Wow! You are very strong-willed! :) Nice to meet you! Happy partying!

ModMomMuse said...

Yep, it's been kind of difficult, but how silly, huh? What was life like before my cell phone? Before my iPHONE!?!? What was life like before the blogosphere? Well, I had a lot of life before Facebook, but it became such a huge part of my day. Now? Well, I'm blogging again....exchanging some electrons & screen time for others, I guess!! LOL

Thanks for swinging by, H.K.!

Robynn's Ravings said...

You have TWO comments?! What are you buried over there at UBP?! LOL I want to shout about you! LOVED that video and your Facebook sacrifice. I am NOT addicted to FB and just don't even drop in that often. I make people mad all the time. But my BLOG? 'Nother story.

Hey, if you don't mind I'd love to use the video clip on my blog in the near future. And I will definitely be adding you to my blog list so I can get updates and follow.

Thanks for your comments over at my place. :) I feel like I know you. Probably because I don't know you. LOL!

ModMomMuse said...

Thanks, Robyn, you're a hoot! For a bit more of me, look over at my darker side--the Mad Mom Fuse page (see link along right sidebar of my blog). God's Best to you--appreciate your support and comments!

ModMomMuse said...

Oh, and I did sign up near the end of the day 3/20--so I am buried a little. AND, no permission needed re: that vid (from me anyway)--it's YouTube--you can embed like I did. Have fun!

ModMomMuse said...

oops--I misspelled "Robynn." Sorry!

Kris said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog for the UBP! Enjoy your weekend!

Rona's Home Page said...

We took our teenager's phone from him for a week. He definitely had withdrawals! lol
I hope spring has finally arrived in your neck of the woods.
Enjoy the party!
It's another brisk windy day in Vegas!

Mommy Niri said...

I can feel for your FB addiction, mine almost became a twitter addiction.

happy partying

Laura Lee said...

Give up Facebook??? NEVER!! I moved far away from home as soon as I graduated, and fb has been a reconnecting dream!! Gonna watch that video now.

ModMomMuse said...

Laura Lee--you are speaking my language! I moved a lot, myself, and have found Facebook to be so wonderfully healing--reconnecting with all the lost people in my life! If I were ONLY using it for that, it might be OK, but instead I started getting into Scrabble, Text Twist, Scramble, and other games (of course, competing against my friends). I was hooked on Knighthood for a while, but finally woke myself off and dumped all the minions...

I suppose I can go 40 days, anyway, and then when I return I'll have a new plan--limited time and more clear boundaries on why I'm there. I have ~400 friends, & how can a person be expected to know what they're all doing at all times? I have friends from each season of my life--and they really aren't "air friends--" I'm just SO guilty of giving my time/energies away, when I have these precious children & my husband within feet of me begging for me to step away from the computer!

So, I totally hear you! I think Facebook is a MIRACLE! ;-)

Mommiedaze said...

Giving up Facebook for Lent is so 21st Century. Love it! :)

JamericanSpice said...

Nice to meet you!

Talk about a party!

I'm quite intrigued and am learning how to get around!

Just stopping by from 5minutes for moms blog party!

Baba said...

Hi! So nice to meet you! Party hopping and participating too so stop in for a visit.

Comfort Joy Designs said...

Hello! Poppin’ in from The Ultimate Blog Party…all the way from Queensland, Australia! G’Day! I hope you have time to visit my party soon.

I'm giving away Pink Champagne Shower Syrup from Jaqua Beauty...stop on over and enter! Ends April 8. Open to USA.

Ta!

Tamara B. said...

Cruising through from the UBP to say hi :)

StacieinAtlanta said...

Hey there-

I am just stopping in from The Ultimate Blog Party (after party) to say hello. Come by my place to enter to win a LeapFrog Tag Reading System and some books by pledging to read to your child everyday. You can also enter to win a pair of Girl's Crocs - Size 8/9. :)

This week to keep the party going a little longer, I am hosting a few more giveaways. Stop by and see what you can win!

Stacie
The Divine Miss Mommy
http://www.thedivinemissmommy.com
http://www.twitter.com/stacieinatlanta

Pamela Kramer said...

Here comes the prize train....TOOT TOOT!!!! You're a winner, stay tuned! Contact me happypandababy(@)gmail(.)com and reference #594