Monday, May 04, 2009

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary &... Basil

"A tree is known by its fruit;
a man by his deeds.
A good deed is never lost;
he who sows courtesy reaps friendship,
and he who plants kindness gathers love."
St. Basil (329-379)

I have no idea who St. Basil is, but I am sorting through the "piles" in our bedroom/office/closet/storage room and found this little torn-off piece of cardboard, obviously from the bottom of some box of something. Maybe tea. Maybe gluten-free cookies. I don't know, but if I kept this man's words once-upon-a-time, but do not need to anymore, than I suppose a blog is a fine place to deposit them. It's one new way I'm going to throw away papers. There's another one here, too: it's a beautiful quotation about mothers as children's first teachers...something I copied from another blog. I liked it enough to want to write on that topic...yes, it's here, somewhere...

Clutter. This is my biggest enemy. Even greater than anger, because I think it is a component of my anger. I think it is a contributor to my anger! I think that a great deal of my life frustrations come from the mounting piles of my life. The artist in me collects beautiful things (Oh! I'm an artist, am I? Well, once-upon-a-time I thought I was...and others did too, so they gave me money to attend art school. But that was long ago. My apologies to the scholarship boards!). Why do I keep? Why do we do this to ourselves?

For me I believe these things in some way help me define for myself who I am. Pleasant quotations, childhood photographs, pretty pieces of stationary... Does that mean I am a scattered pile of nonsense? Sometimes, yes. But, I am also the woman who organizes the seemingly-disconnected piles. Oh, and BTW, if you are my spouse, and something of yours has sunk deep into the abyss of our shared desk, and you need it right now, I think you'll always be surprised that I can put my fingers on it within a minute.

My mother collects beautiful stones.

My grandmother collected valuable dolls.

My dad and sister collect friends (who are quite helpful to have, I might add!).

My stepdad (AKA "dad") collects busy & important paper.

My husband collects facts.

My grandfather collected himself.

I'd prefer Grandpa's collection over my own cluttered way of doing life. Mine leads to frustration. His always was the precise opposite. He was ever & always collected.

Hmmm. Something to think about as I continue to work on the organization of this newly assembled shelf system in our be-all room. 1000 square feet. Four people with another on the way. It takes a talented couple to get it all together here. Sometimes everything just overflows. I'm working on flood control. Actually, flood control is what I need in all areas of my life, except the spiritual. I could use a good spiritual overflow right now!

Maybe, as I rid myself of the emotional baggage, the overflowing papers, the collections of incomplete projects, and all other physical excesses in my life, I will have room for the Spirit to pour over me! Hey! If my dear husband is reading this, I'm afraid he's ecstatic with hope about my potential and his freedom from my "disease..." Don't get too excited, Dear. I am just thinking out loud. There's a baby on the way, after all. Isn't that what most of us do when we contemplate where the new little one will go? Think out loud about who we'd like to be & how we'll make room for the essentials?

Check back with me in 6 months!

No comments: